Monday, February 2, 2009

What Am I Really Believing?

Sometimes I wonder if we really believe the things we claim as truth. Example...Would you say the following statements are true?

  • God is good all the time and He's in a good mood.
  • My prayers are powerful and effective to bring change.
  • God heals all of our diseases.
  • I hear the Father's voice.
  • I am His son. I am His daughter.
  • We are spiritual beings and in a spiritual battle.
  • I am royalty.
  • God is my Provider.
  • God's love is a gift. I must do nothing, but receive it. It's not a love based on performance.
  • God is more interested in my relationship with Him than what I do for Him.

Now, would someone who looks at your life attest to your belief in these statements? Would you say your daily life and thoughts demonstrate that you truly believe these statements?

Too often we let our mind train our spirit, though it should be the reverse. How often does your personal experience, religious tradition or the cultural consensus stand above the Word of God? I'll be the first to admit that this happens all too often in my life. It is so incredibly vital that we don't allow our circumstances or personal experiences to dictate the truth of God's Word and promises. I can't stress this enough in my own life. Personally, I have to continually declare His promises when my experiences don't seem to line up with them. I must until it becomes a truth at my very core. And even then, I again, have to declare it.

For me, I would say I agree 100% with these statements. Yet I catch myself thinking or acting contrary to what they proclaim. In the next couple of blogs, I want to illustrate what this looks like in my life. And perhaps this series will expose ways you respond to situations counter to the truth.

I hope you stay tuned.

No comments: